First up on Childhood Ruined? Scooby & Shaggy were Potheads. Scooby and Shaggy could probably roll a mean joint. If not that, they were packing a bowl or a pipe in the back of the Mystery Machine. Remember all that "Fog" that used to float in the Mystery Machine when the windows were down? That was reefer smoke. Shaggy used to light one, blow smoke in Scooby's face (Scooby doesn't have thumbs, lets be realistic), and be spaced all the way out. Don't believe me? The evidence is laced throughout the series. Scooby & Shaggy were potheads.
- They were Forgetful- Every fucking week there was a new monster to be chased. Every week the gang figured out that the monster wasn't actually a homicidal monster hell-bent on chasing after its victims at half speed, but just creepy and (probably perverted) old men that simply needed to be captured with a net or trash-can. But leave it to Scooby and Shaggy to freak the fuck out every week about hunting for creatures like the whole hunt set-up was a newly minted concept. All them tweeds obliterated their little hippie brains and memory cells.
- They Were Paranoid- Whenever the gang split up and it was just Scooby and Shaggy, they were walking around blazed as hell paranoid as fuck. Daphne, Fred, and Velma were slinking around looking for clues, while Scooby and Shaggy were seeing shadows around every corner and jumping into each others arms when a mouse would run across the floor.
- The always had the munchies- The most obvious piece of evidence that we have. Scooby and Shaggy would eat entire pies, whole pizza, containers of food, buffet tables- EVERYTHING- and then still be hungry. Everybody knows that smoking weed causes the pleasant Munchies sensation, where you eat pretty much anything and everything in sight. The weirdest combinations of food come out, and you're mixing shit in the kitchen that is fit for a pregnant woman. Take for example, Shaggy, whose favorite food is pizza with extra cheese and pickles. In addition to eating all the fucking time, the niggas never gained weight!
- It was the 60's. - The Sixties were a very free period. Lots of hippies were on weed. Shaggy, was in fact, a hippie. Have you heard the way he talked and seen the way he dressed? His shirt was 5X too big (I've seen smaller baggy tees on BET Uncut circa 2005), but the nigga did not care. All he needed was his next fix and a bite to eat. Fuck fashion and materialism, man.
- They were experimental- Shaggy and Scooby clearly aren't afraid of any mind altering drugs. While in a witches cave searching for clues, the pair decide to drink one of her potions. Though it ultimately turned out to be her laundry, the two were excited for some trippy shit to happen. This shows that the two were experimental. Smoking weed is pretty damned awesome, but evidently these two needed something a little more hard core. Their tolerance for weed was probably super high by that point (no pun intended).
- The Little Shit- Two small points. First and foremost, in the Scooby Doo live action movie (the really shitty one on the island), Shaggy met a broad named Mary Jane on a plane. And he told her "Zoinks. Mary Jane is my favorite name." That was a SUBLIMINAL message. Duh. No way possible any non-smoking nigga likes the name Mary Jane. My final point? Shaggy's shirt was green. GREEN, PEOPLE!